Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sloppy BBQ Chicken Pizza

Cornbread:
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 cups of flour
1/4 cup of oil
1 egg
1/4 cup of sugar (I will use honey next time)
1 cup of milk
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Mix together, place in oven safe skillet (I used my round cast iron), but a 9x13 would also work.  Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, till golden brown.

Topping:
2 cups of cooked chicken
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 8oz can of tomato sauce
2 tsp of hot sauce
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp cumin
1-2 tbsp mined garlic
2 sweet peppers (I used a red and a green)
1 small onion chopped
cheddar cheese

Saute garlic, peppers, and onion in evoo till tender.  Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.  Cook till sugar dissolves.  Put mixture on cooked cornbread, top with cheese and put back in the oven till the cheese melts. 



I liked the chicken mixture, it had a really good flavor.  The only thing I didn't like was there was almost too much corn bread to mixture ratio.  I might use only half of the cornbread next time and just bake the rest to use as cornbread stuffing for something else.  I also thought it might be good if the cornbread was on the top of the chicken instead of the bottom, but the bottom is what makes it the "pizza" part. 







No comments:

Post a Comment