Thursday, May 26, 2011

Italian enchiladas

I was at a loss about what to make last night for dinner.  I didn't want to do chicken again and didn't want to do anything with ground turkey.  I had some italian sausage (well italian turkey sausage) that I needed to use, but had no idea how I wanted to cook them.  My hubby, lets call him M, LOVES enchiladas so I thought "italian enchiladas."  Why didn't I think of this sooner?!?!?!?!?!

1 lb of italian sausage, casings removed
1 large portabella mushroom diced
1 tbsp of olive oil
8 oz of cream cheese
1 15 oz can of italian tomatoes
1 tbsp of tomato paste (I will leave this out next time, it made the sauce WAY to thick)
6-8 tortillas
3-4 fresh basil leaves
Mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a medium high skillet cook the mushroom in the olive oil.  When brown but still firm, remove and set aside.  In the same skillet cook the sausage till done.  Add the cream cheese and melt.  When the cream cheese is melted add in the mushroom.  Taste and season if needed.  (I think the sausage has enough, but if you think it needs more, hey more power to ya) 

Wrap the tortillas in wet paper towels and warm in the microwave for 60-90 seconds to make them pliable.  Fill each tortilla and place seam side down in a baking dish that has been covered in cooking spray.  This is where I took the tomatoes and tomato paste and warmed it up.  Like I said next time I will leave out the paste and add pasta sauce.  Otherwise put the tomatoes on top of the enchiladas along with the mozzarella cheese and bake for 20 minutes.  Top with the fresh chopped basil.  (My basil was mia at picture time!)

 Before going into the oven
After the oven, please excuse the cheese I had to rewarm ours after getting the kids in bed

No comments:

Post a Comment